I always think of the week after Thanksgiving as "down time". The house is quiet-the last kids and grandkids have gone home and even though we're a little sad to see them go, we can relax a bit. I even took a nap yesterday afternoon, which I almost never do.
Today will be the ceremonial throwing out of the last of the leftovers and a trip to the dump with several more than usual bags of garbage! (Amazing how much trash 12 people can generate over a long weekend.) This week,I need to get tons of laundry put away, take down all of the fall decorations and give the house another clean. (I thought I said this was Down Time?!)
This weekend, we will be traveling up close to the Texas panhandle to celebrate "Christmas in the Foothills" in a little town called Matador. A friend, my son and I have a folk/oldies group that sing at events from time to time and we have been asked to sing for this. My husband, who has a lovely tenor voice (though he won't admit it), will be joining us. The local stores will be open late, and there will be food, crafts and we will be singing Christmas carols. In true Texas fashion, Santa will be arriving by stage coach and I know our 2 youngest grandsons (our son's boys) will be very excited. Yesterday, I asked the 5 year old what he wanted Santa to bring him for Christmas and he said "I'd like a scooter to give to my friend and then...just whatever he wants to bring me." He is a real sweetheart!
I will probably start decorating next week. I've been so excited to finally get my piano moved back to my house and I've really been enjoying playing again, especially my Christmas music. I have, however, found the one flaw in having it back. It's taken the corner where the Christmas tree goes and I can't for the life of me figure out another place to put it! I may have to invest in a table top tree this year.
What a sweet grandson you have! We are recovering from a house full of family. We had 8 additional people (only one a kid) for 8 days. The mess is massive and I just cannot bring myself to tackle it today. I will start tomorrow. What is not eaten tonight from Thanksgiving gets tossed here too.
ReplyDeleteHi Jan,
ReplyDeleteI want to thank you for commenting on my blog!
I liked your post, sounds like you had a wonderful time with family.
I think your son/wife are bringing up their son right for him to think like he does...what a darling boy. I hope Santa brings him exactly what her wants.
Hope you find the perfect spot for your tree!!
Karen
Down time sounds so appealing! We have been going strong since Thanksgiving week . . . but tomorrow promises to have some "white space" and I plan to relish it!
ReplyDeleteSuch a generous heart, your grandson!
I think a table top tree sounds like a great idea! I fully intend to have one myself when our nest is empty!
Christmas in the Foothills sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I hope you have a great time!!
ReplyDeleteI love your picture of the hot chocolate mug. I just had a cup of hot ovaltine, my preference for hot chocolate. It was very soothing and comforting. Like you, the weekend after Thanksgiving was cleaning up and out with the leftovers, etc. I don't rush into Christmas decorating that same weekend. I can't push myself that hard! But the next weekend I pretty much got it all done, at least as much as I intend to do this year. WE are contemplating moving in the new year, as soon as our house sells and we can find another, so I am trying to keep things simple. Christmas is never simple, but at least scaled down a bit. Your outing with all of your family sounded wonderful I would love that...Santa on a stage coach! Now that's special!! Love it! Thank you for sharing this with us. I enjoyed reading this so much.
ReplyDelete