...and I promise I'm done.
I would hazard a guess-and I hope I'm wrong, that no one is taught the poem " In Flanders Fields" in U.S. schools today. It was written by a military doctor serving during the first world war. Today was originally Armistice Day-celebrating the signing of the treaties that would end WWI.
There are no more veterans left from WWI, and before many more years pass, there will be no living veterans of WWII. The feelings of my generation run particularly deep for these men and women who gave up everything over 70 years ago to leave their homes and fight to keep our country free from an evil that threatened our very existence. They are and were our parents. Make no mistake. Had Hitler, Mussolini, Hirohito and the Axis armies won WWII, as they very well could have, there would be no elections or protests allowed in this country. There would have been mass extinction of many people as there was in the Jewish Holocaust in Europe.
I think it's difficult for our children and grandchildren to truly comprehend this. But my generation was raised by this greatest generation who gave up everything to make sure it didn't happen and they impressed that on us as we grew up. We didn't always listen, but now as we grow older, we understand.
I know a lot of people are unhappy today. I understand they are grieving the loss of an ideal and a dream, and ask us to give them time to grieve. I get that they are fearful for the future of our country and are truly afraid of the man who will be our president. I've been there several times. But life does goes on and today is a day that we honor those who have served (and still serve) their country whether they agreed with their commander in chief or not. Because it was the right thing to do. Today we need to put ourselves aside and give thanks not just to these people, but to the God who gave them the hearts to serve.
Amen, Jan. Well said. My father was a medic in WWI. I can't imagine what all he saw. He was 53 when I was born -his first child- and he left this earth way too soon. I miss and honor him today. He would have urged us all to unite and support the president no matter what our personal feelings were. A bitter pill to swallow for some people, I know.
ReplyDeleteAmen!
ReplyDelete