Thursday, January 28, 2016

Just popping in...

to let you know I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth!  I've been cleaning out some of the "black holes" in our house. I just finished the room over the garage that I use for a sewing room and for storage. I got rid of so much stuff-I'm rather proud of myself! I unpacked every box of books and stacked them in the loft for us to go through. I have a huge stack to donate to the library, so now it's my better half's turn. It will probably be a while before he goes through them. He's been  busy building fence on our property in preparation for getting a couple of calves to raise for beef.  A chicken coop and chickens come next and then a good clean out of the garden! We learned a lot from our "test garden" last year-mainly that we will do raised beds this year and do a better job of planning. We just put things in the ground last year and ended up with a big, overgrown mess. Live and learn. These city folks may get the hang of this yet!

My next "black hole" will be the closet under the stairs. I'm almost afraid to think about what's in there, but with tornado season coming up I need to get it cleaned out. It's our safe place or as I like to call it, "the 'fraidy hole". (I can just see us frantically trying to pull and push boxes out of the way so we can crawl in if a bad storm comes up!)  It feels really good to be down-sizing what we have. I spent a lot of time going through 60 years of my parents belongings when they died and I don't want to do that to our kids. Plus, 20 years from now when we move to a smaller place we'll only have 20 years of stuff to go through!

4 comments:

  1. I so agree about going through and getting rid of stuff right now. I am currently getting rid of a minimum of 10 items a week and it feels great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put me to shame. We are still decluttering and it is hard to let go of some of our parents` things, but it has to be done.

    Good luck with the calves and the chickens when spring comes around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're going through a very thorough 'Spring Tidy Up'. All the best with the rest of the process. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always get a good feeling when I have accomplished cleaning and clearing out things. I'm sure your hard work has lighten up the room.

    ReplyDelete