My herbs haven't done quite so well, I don't think my Greek Oregano is going to make it, but my Basil is taking over! Rosemary and Dill are growing big. Here are a few pictures-they aren't very good and I'm sure they will mostly show that we have no idea what we're doing! We will do raised beds next year. When we lived in a much drier climate, we planted directly in the ground so that's what we did this year, but we're realizing that there's too competition with grass and weeds here.
Thursday, June 25, 2015
Live and Learn
It's definitely summertime here. The temperatures have been a few degrees lower than usual, but with all of the flooding, the humidity has been miserable. Early morning isn't too bad-a good time to head out to the vegetable garden. Yes, we actually have one this year-I call it our experimental garden, because I think we're learning all of the things we will do differently next year! We do have a lot of yellow crookneck squash coming on-I fried some for supper tonight and it was so good! It reminded me of summer at my Mamaw's house. Our black-eyed peas and okra are beginning to make, so some good veggies in our future! Our beans have a lot of blooms as do our canteloupe and pumpkins, but nothing else yet. We have some Blue Hubbard squash, though. They make better pumpkin pies than pumpkins! We also have some sweet potato vines.
My herbs haven't done quite so well, I don't think my Greek Oregano is going to make it, but my Basil is taking over! Rosemary and Dill are growing big. Here are a few pictures-they aren't very good and I'm sure they will mostly show that we have no idea what we're doing! We will do raised beds next year. When we lived in a much drier climate, we planted directly in the ground so that's what we did this year, but we're realizing that there's too competition with grass and weeds here.
My herbs haven't done quite so well, I don't think my Greek Oregano is going to make it, but my Basil is taking over! Rosemary and Dill are growing big. Here are a few pictures-they aren't very good and I'm sure they will mostly show that we have no idea what we're doing! We will do raised beds next year. When we lived in a much drier climate, we planted directly in the ground so that's what we did this year, but we're realizing that there's too competition with grass and weeds here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
69 years ago today, I was born at 1:27 am. My mom got to the hospital at 1 am. Cutting it a little close! Today, my sweet husband took me ...


Well, you can call this your "experimental garden" if it is not turning out exactly as you wanted. At least you got stuff planted. I did not this year at all. I hope you enjoy every moment of summer- xo Diana
ReplyDeleteIt sounds to me as if you've doing ok - the battle with grass and weeds is never-ending I suspect and they usually win too:)
ReplyDeleteYour soil looks very sandy? If it is, it might take a few years anyway to get the soil sorted and raised beds will help especially with your heat.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sad! My garden is basically non-existent this year because of all the crazy weather stuff.
ReplyDelete