Wednesday, June 18, 2014

If it doesn't rattle....

...it's a cobra. My hard and fast rule for snakes. In the mornings I love to take my coffee and go walk around our porch. There's usually a nice southern breeze that makes the 80 F temperature and 80% humidity reasonably comfortable. (Good old North Texas summers!) The birds are singing and everything is green-it's really lovely out here in the mornings.

Evidently, this little guy thought so too. He was curled up in front of the porch this morning. For those not familiar with snakes, this is a little copperhead, a venomous snake. Even the babies like this could be dangerous, especially to a small child. I almost missed him because his coloring is so similar to the dirt. Needless to say, I was NOT happy to see him. My old adage "if it doesn't rattle it's a cobra definitely applies here. We do try not to kill the "good" snakes, so we have familiarized ourselves with the differences between them.



The shape of the head shows it's a viper and the markings and tell-tale green tip of the tail show it's definitely a young copperhead. I think what really bothers me is the fact that it's a baby, which means a group of eggs has hatched nearby and there are more out there, and probably adults too. With our grands around we will have to be careful before we let them outside! (And yes, my husband killed it for that very reason.)

I guess that's my adventure for the day. Bother adventures!

7 comments:

  1. Oh My!! You are very smart to be watching for those dangerous snakes. They sure do 'disappear' into the dirt, don't they? Keep vigilant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness me, if I saw that in my garden I would be moving house! I have always been terrified of snakes. We have adders on the peat moor about 3 miles from us and my husband has seen one when out walking, so I dont go with him anymore :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate copperheads. They seem to like hanging out nearer the house in especially dry weather. I am very thankful we have had more rain than normal so their food source stays in the woods rather than our yard. Like you we only kill the bad guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not good at all Jan.
    You might have read a recent post of mine.. I nearly picked the snake up.. as i put my head down to see what my dog jeffrey was barking about..there the snake reared his head and stared at me..what a fright.
    All snakes to me are bad.. as i dont know the difference with the smaller ones.. here the snake bite does not kill..but there are a couple that can give nasty bites.
    have a good weekend. (no snakes) val x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jan, I'm not sure how you found me but glad you did, though I'm not very averse to snakes!We don't get many of them over here! Off to catch-up with your posts so I can get to 'know' you. Thank you so much for leaving your sweet comment at mine and for 'following' me. Have a great week, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have heart failure if I saw that thing. Just one more reason I am glad I live in Canada :)

    ReplyDelete