Friday, December 6, 2013

The Ice Storm Cometh


Winter is well and truly here. We woke up to this scene this morning. It's lovely, but it's really not snow-it's ice pellets and sleet. We went to our daughter's yesterday to keep the grands while she went to her very last class before finals (yay!) and got home just as the rain turned to ice. North Texas is famous (or infamous) for it's ice storms and we have a nasty one today, though it's not as bad here as other places. Our trees and power lines are not iced over as they are in nearby areas, but our roads are treacherous this morning. We had good warning and stocked up our pantry, so we are set to stay home for a few days.

It is 22F right now but with the wind it feels like 12F.  We're supposed to have a low of 9 tonight and a high of 20 tomorrow, so things won't be melting off any time soon. Fortunately the schools are closed due to dangerous road conditions and our son in law is working from home today so no worries there.

I've got a pot of beans on the stove with a ham bone ready to go in later so we'll have bean soup tonight. I made chili and cornbread last night so we are set with warm, hearty food. Planning to clean house and get out the Christmas decorations so I guess I'd better get at it! Stay warm and safe wherever you are!

10 comments:

  1. Not sure how cold that is as we have centrigrade here but guess it is very cold. Can't beat being snug and eating hot hearty food when the weather outside is freezing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 22F is about -5 celsius; 9F is about -13. We been watching the terrible storm and flooding in Great Britain-I feel so sorry for everyone in the path of all the bad weather there. Hope you are safe where you are.

      Delete
  2. how lovely Jan, it all looks very festive! stay warm and enjoy your chilli and cornbread, that sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know if you're in the path of the storm and flooding. If you are, stay safe!

      Delete
  3. That sounds and looks really cold. I honestly didnt think temperatures dropped that low in Texas, just shows what you learn through blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This part of Texas tends to get the colder temperatures and more snow and ice. Hope your weather is better-we've been hearing about the terrible winds and flooding.

      Delete
  4. Oh, yes...being a Texas Gal, I know about ice storms. It has been drizzling here all day and temps are dropping into the high 20's by morning. I have my soup ready to be made tomorrow. Stay safe and warm....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are redeeming the time like I am! Kindred spirits! Do you think we MAY thaw out tomorrow?? So far we haven't experienced cabin fever. I could stay here a week and still have things to do! But I would miss my grandquads!

    ReplyDelete

October!