I remember talking to my dad about Pearl Harbor and how he felt that day. He had already joined the Army Air Corps earlier in the year, thinking that sooner or later we would be involved in the war. He said their commanding officer came in and told them that we would be at war and they would soon be shipping out. Both he and my mom talked about hearing the news that day-the sick feeling, the anger, the fear and determination in their hearts as they listened to Roosevelt ask for a declaration of war from Congress. I hope that this day will continue to be marked for a long time; but as we lose our greatest generation, the day will come when there will be no one left who was alive that day. I wonder will we remember?

It's down to future generations to keep the memory alive Jan.
ReplyDeleteI also wonder if this generation will know what this day represents....I'm not sure how much history is being taught in schools today. My Dad was a WWII vet...he is already gone.
ReplyDelete