Monday, August 12, 2013

August

Seems hard to believe that August is almost half over. A few brown and yellow leaves are showing, the light looks a little different now and the days are a little shorter.  We still have a while to go before we get real autumn weather in North Texas, though. Yesterday's high was 102 F and today should be close. It should be in the mid-80's for the latter part of the week, so it's gradually starting to cool off. (I'm almost afraid to say that-it will probably be 110 next week!)

It's a big birthday month for our family. My husband's birthday was the 1st, my grandmother's would have been tomorrow, three nieces have a birthday this month and mine is the 19th. Our grandson will be 1 year old on the 27th and one of our grand-nephews will be 1 on the 29th. (I predict that those two will be big buddies in a year or two!)

Yesterday I went shopping with my daughter and oldest granddaughter for school clothes and supplies . She's 7 years old now and her tastes have changed significantly. No more Hello Kitty or Disney Princesses for this girl!  Everything my daughter looked at was met by "No, Mom! I'd be embarrassed to wear that!" Second grade must be more sophisticated than I remember!  She did get some pretty tops, leggings and jeans, but all seemed impossibly grown up looking. Ah well. The 4 year old starts Pre-Kindergarten next month she still loves princesses, fairies and kitties.

I think I'm going to roast some potatoes, carrots, and butternut squash with onions, garlic and rosemary for dinner tonight. That will taste like fall even if it doesn't feel like it outside!

1 comment:

  1. your super vegs sound delicious. I was just thinking this morning, while walking my dog, that it is feeling mush more Autumnal.

    ReplyDelete