Welcome to my new followers and thanks so much for your comments-I love reading them and enjoy reading your blogs!
I have discovered the world of audio books, thanks to my daughter and I'm enjoying them so much! Don't get me wrong-in the evenings. I still love to curl up with a good book with actual pages, but while I'm sewing or doing housework, a good audiobook really passes the time. I am currently listening to The Lord of the Rings unabridged version narrated by Robert Inglis. We are big fans of J.R.R. Tolkien and have read the trilogy and The Hobbit through several times, but we enjoy listening to them. It's a five-hour car trip to see our grands (and their parents) and listening to a book has become our favorite way to travel. We also enjoy the Brother Cadfael books by Ellis Peters, and have also read them through, but enjoy listening to them in the car as well.
Our local library has a large collection of books on tape and CD and I have found many of my favorites there, but the books we intend to keep and listen to over again we download from Audible.com-a division of Amazon. Do any of you listen to audio books?
I 'm off now to finish the bumper pads for the crib today and will post pictures soon. I'm going on 4 hours of sleep today, so I hope not to do anything too ridiculous to them with my foggy brain! (I don't think I'll be experimenting with the dosage on my sleep meds again anytime soon. As we like to say out here-"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!") :-)
Hi Jan - I keep meaning to start using audio books, as i am just not getting the time to sit down with a book. Enjoying seeing all your new baby makes - how exciting! x
ReplyDeleteThanks! It is exciting-we weren't expecting that we would have anymore grandchildren, so this one has been a lovely surprise!
DeleteHi Jan...I use the audio books while I'm driving a long distance. I love to hold an actual book, too! But, what I love best is my Kindle. I can read much faster on it, change the font larger for easier reads, and download a new book in the middle of the nite.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter loves her Kindle and has been tempting me to get one-maybe I'll ask Santa this year. :-)
DeleteI've listened to audio books for years, have them on while I'm ironing and cooking. I tend to go for Agatha Christie, Margery Allingham and other mystery writers but would enjoy Lord of the Rings I think, read the books many years ago and saw all the films of course. I haven't come across audible .com, must investigate.
ReplyDeleteI believe it's audible.co.uk, there should be a link on the audio book page of amazon. Unfortunately, audible doesn't have the unabridged Lord of the Rings, but I was able to get a used but like new copy from amazon for about the half the price of the new ones.
DeleteI can endorse the Kindle. You can get audible books on it too. The Kindle app for PC is a free download on Amazon, so you can read Kindle books on your PC, too. Also, investigate Project Gutenberg. They have scanned copies of out of copywrite/print books for free, and some of them are also available in audio format, like "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" Great place to go for those classic books you always meant to read.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I will definitely look into both of those!
DeleteWe have a few audio books which we've bought when we were going on a long journey - so much more soothing than music in the car. They are mostly mysteries like Agatha Christie or Dorothy L Sayers, that type of thing:)
ReplyDeleteThank you Jan, for the kind comment on my blog this evening x
ReplyDeleteI've been an audio book fan for several years, like you I listen when doing the housework, also when gardening. I used to buy them in charity shops but now I mainly get them from the library, the price has just gone up to '75p for a 3 week hire' which is pretty reasonable.
ReplyDeleteAt the moment I'm listening to Margaret Atwood's 'Life Before Man'.
I still like a 'real' book though and a friend has just introduced to me to Agatha Raisin, a sort of Miss Marple meets Midsomer Murders, a very enjoyable 'light' read.
Carol xx
I've enjoyed reading the Agatha Raisin books, but I haven't listened to one yet. I also like the Hamish Macbeth books by the same author.
ReplyDelete