I'm probably the last person that didn't know about this app, but I just found Merlin, Cornell University's app for identifying birds and bird calls.
We live out in the country and have many, many large oak trees on our property. The bird song out here is beautiful and I'm always curious about which birds I'm hearing. Once the trees are completely leafed out as they are now, I can hear more birds than I can actually see. This app can listen to and identify birds by their calls. Even with the traffic noise on the Farm to Market road that runs in front of our neighbor's properties, it can hear and identify "who's out there". Just on a short walk this morning, it found 5 or 6 different birds, none of which I could actually see, but could hear. You can also take a picture of a bird and it will identify it. I almost feel like I have a new toy! I've never known much about birds, but living out here has made me curious. We see blue jays, northern cardinals, mockingbirds, eastern bluebirds and sparrows a lot and I'm somewhat familiar with their calls, but this app found painted buntings, tufted titmice (titmouses?) and carolina chickadees. I think I'm going to really enjoy using this. Maybe it will get me outside and walking more!

You're not the last because I didn't know about it either. Very cool!
ReplyDeleteI knew about the app and even have it on my phone, however, I never remember to use it or even look at it! I love bird watching so you would think that would be my favorite app, wouldn't you?
ReplyDeleteNope you are the second to last person...because I didn't know about it either. lol. Enjoy the app! xo Diana
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of the app but I will be getting it. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteOoooo thanks Jan for this information. I have never heard of it, but will definitely be checking it out. I've hung several bird feeders this year and it will be nice to learn what kind are coming to the feeders... Happy Mother's Day weekend... Blessings..
ReplyDelete