Well, we got home Saturday night from our trip to Las Cruces, NM, where we held a Celebration of Life for my sweet Mother-in-Law on the 29th. She passed away back in August, but we waited until after Christmas to have her memorial, thinking that everyone would be able to attend since school was out. Well, of course, we couldn't have known that Southwest Airlines would end up cancelling half of the family's flights. It was so sad that they weren't able to be there, but we ended up being able to live stream it thanks to the wonderful audio/visual tech at the church there. She was amazing and made it so easy. My husband had prepared a slide show with music and after sharing a meal together, we played that and some of us got up and shared our memories. He also had prepared albums of photos with pages to write memories in. He did a great job and it was good to be with everyone who was able to be there.
Sunday, we went to church, ate lunch with our daughter and family and came home to crash! It's a 11-12 hour drive and I think we may be getting a little old to do it many more times. May have to start flying. Today we grocery shopped and got new tires for the car and tomorrow, I guess I'll start taking down the tree and decorations. Always a little bittersweet, but it's good to have a new year to start fresh. Someone asked me yesterday what my plans for 2023 were and I said "To get through the year the best I can and still be alive at the end of it!" The day after a 12 hour car trip may not be the best time to ask me that!

HaHa. Great illustration for the breaking of rules, commandments, and diets!!
ReplyDelete11-12 hours on the road is too many for us more mature folks (I agree!). I would have to do it in two days. Sad to hear so many people weren't able to be there because of weather delays and canceled flights. I think most of us are used to live-streaming now. My Joe's memorial service was live-streamed so family up north could "be there". Take care and get some rest! xo
ReplyDeleteI like your plans for the year. They are very much like mine.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the service went well, but what a shame the Southwest issue happened at that very time. Livestreaming is such a blessing.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it was a lovely service. I quite like being able to attend far away events on zoom. I think getting through the year is a great resolution.
ReplyDeleteSo very sorry that so many were not able to attend the service. That airline failure affected so many people right at the most crucial time. Glad that many were still able to see the service via live stream. What a wonderful invention! We live in an amazing time. But yes, driving 11-12 hours is tough on anyone. We will be traveling this weekend and I think our trip will be about 8-10 hours, depending on traffic. I'm not crazy about the trip but looking forward to the destination, a cabin in N. Ga., but yes, we are going for a celebration of Life for my hubby's cousin. However, it is to be a real celebration as it would have been his 80th birthday, and he passed right around Thanksgiving but told his wife before he passed to have the birthday party anyway that had already been in the planning stages, so that is what she is doing. We will also have a little bit of a vacation for a couple of days before and after, so that will be nice. Have a blessed and beautiful and joy-filled New Year. That is all we can ask. Amen.
ReplyDeleteTwelve hours is a long time to be in a car, I would have crashed when I got home too!! That was a terrible situation with SW Airlines, I saw a lot of unhappy and frustrated people on the news. Like you, I'll be handling 2023 as best I can and hope I live through it. I find peace know God holds my hand and leads the way.
ReplyDelete