Grandparents who take care of their grandchildren full-time, I salute you!! We just waved goodbye to our son, daughter-in-law and the 4 grands after a week and a half visit. The 9 year old had the first of several surgeries to correct a birth defect in his urinary tract. We are so proud of him-he is a real trooper and came through the procedure beautifully! I know it was difficult and he is very sore (and will have a catheter for 2 weeks), but he hasn't complained much at all. I hope he won't be too uncomfortable on the trip home. They will be back for a re-check in a few weeks. Glad we live so close to a large medical community so that we could help out.
We kept the 7 year old, 2 year old and 9 month old. The 7 year old grandson entertains himself-especially when his local 9 year old cousin comes over. The littles kept us on our old, arthritic toes, though!! It was a sweet time, but it's going to take a few days to recover! It's an old saying and often repeated but so true: There's a reason God gives us small children when we're young. I ache all over!! Hopefully I rebuilt a few muscles picking up and carrying little people and pushing swings! Fortunately, our daughter came and helped out some.
It's kind of bittersweet-they were ready to be home and we were ready to have some downtime, but the house is very, very quiet.
Oh, bless your hearts! You really did have your hands full! Sounds wonderful, but I can imagine how difficult that had to be with those ages of children! I don't know that I could manage it for very long! I bet you all made lots of memories, however. yes, I truly understand the bittersweet ending to your story...".the house is very, very quiet." I bet you were ready for a nap, however. So glad the 9 year old is doing well. That's the best part. Praying for his full recovery. (((hugs))) to you.
ReplyDeleteYes, those littles do tire you out! We love to have them, and then are ready for some down time when they leave.
ReplyDeleteGlad your grandson is doing well.
I am one of those grandparents. I retired just as grandchildren were born and have been running my "daycare" center for almost 10 years now. I can tell a big difference in today vs when the almost 10 year old was born! People keep telling me all the shows and movies I can watch or stream and don't seem to understand that once the kids leave, we collapse, LOL. I do shock myself with how much I can accomplish when they aren't here, but they grow up so fast, I don't mind it. The youngest two will be headed to preschool this year and will be in fulltime kindergarten in the 2 years.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear your grandson's procedure went well. Prayers to his continued improvements.
ReplyDeleteYou forget how tiring little ones are when you haven't had any around you for a while. Glad to hear that your grandson's surgery went well.
ReplyDeleteOh, Jan, I know exactly what you're talking about! Mine are 12 and 6 and are exhausting, both physically and mentally, but good gosh I don't know what we would do without them! I'm glad your grandson is doing good. My son had a similar surgery when he was a little one. Scary stuff for Mama but he was a trooper! Get some rest, lady!
ReplyDeleteGrace & Peace,
Pam
I feel your pain! Sixteen kids, youngest is 14, eleven grandkids now...my daughter, her husband, and their two lived with us for a month before moving into their new place, (they moved from the west coast), now my son, his wife, and their two are living with us from Virginia, while their house is finished...so it's been weeks of having small children...I love it, but it does exhaust me. How on EARTH did I do it? I know what you mean about the quiet, when my daughter and family left and moved into their house, it was SO quiet, but not for too many days before my son moved in...whew. We still have four of our youngest kids here at home, but they are no longer exhausting, ha. What a blessing you were to help with the kids during that time though, I bet they'll have a lifetime of good memories from their visit. :)
ReplyDeleteDella