I posted this on Good Friday last year. It's something I post on many Good Fridays because I love the hope expressed in this sermon by S.M. Lockridge. Last year, it meant so much to read it while we were in lockdown, our world turned upside by a virus. Now, looking back on all of the events of this past year, it seems to me that so much has been turned upside down and is out of control. I've wondered "how much worse will it get?" I needed to re-read these things today to be reminded that God is in complete control, not our leaders or any other persons or things. When it seems like "Friday" will never end, I need to remember that the war has already by won by our Lord. "Sunday" is truly coming, and when it does, none of what is happening in the world will matter any longer. We will rejoice in the presence of our Lord because He humbled himself and took our sin to the cross on a Friday over 2000 years ago.
It’s Friday
Jesus is praying
Peter’s a sleeping
Judas is betraying
But Sunday’s comin’
It’s Friday
Pilate’s struggling
The council is conspiring
The crowd is vilifying
They don’t even know
That Sunday’s comin’
It’s Friday
The disciples are running
Like sheep without a shepherd
Mary’s crying
Peter is denying
But they don’t know
That Sunday’s a comin’
It’s Friday
The Romans beat my Jesus
They robe him in scarlet
They crown him with thorns
But they don’t know
That Sunday’s comin’
It’s Friday
See Jesus walking to Calvary
His blood dripping
His body stumbling
And his spirit’s burdened
But you see, it’s only Friday
Sunday’s comin’
It’s Friday
The world’s winning
People are sinning
And evil’s grinning
It’s Friday
The soldiers nail my Savior’s hands
To the cross
They nail my Savior’s feet
To the cross
And then they raise him up
Next to criminals
It’s Friday
But let me tell you something
Sunday’s comin’
It’s Friday
The disciples are questioning
What has happened to their King
And the Pharisees are celebrating
That their scheming
Has been achieved
But they don’t know
It’s only Friday
Sunday’s comin’
It’s Friday
He’s hanging on the cross
Feeling forsaken by his Father
Left alone and dying
Can nobody save him?
Ooooh
It’s Friday
But Sunday’s comin’
It’s Friday
The earth trembles
The sky grows dark
My King yields his spirit
It’s Friday
Hope is lost
Death has won
Sin has conquered
and Satan’s just a laughin’
It’s Friday
Jesus is buried
A soldier stands guard
And a rock is rolled into place
But it’s Friday
It is only Friday
Sunday is a comin’!

Yes, Sunday is coming!
ReplyDeleteYes, indeed!! Sunday is comin'!
ReplyDeleteI just love this! As I read it, I can hear him saying it. Yes - Sunday is coming!
ReplyDelete