Monday, February 8, 2021

Black Holes and Freezing Rain

 What a title, right?? Actually, there's not a lot going on here, but what we're doing does involve me clearing out yet another "black hole" in our house. This is the one I've been putting off, but finally tackled today-our closet under the stairs. It's where we toss everything that we don't know what else to do with. (The way I just ended that sentence would make my son with the english lit degree cringe, but oh well.) Anyway, it wasn't as bad as I was thinking and I was in a throwing away mood, so it went pretty quickly. Nothing that was currently alive was found, but I did find a few dead spiders and what might have been a scorpion once.  This closet also would serve as our 'fraidy hole (storm shelter) if we ever had a tornado. It's narrow and the ceiling is very low-maybe four feet tall. 8 years ago when we bought this house it didn't seem like that big a deal to army-crawl back there if we had to. After today, I'm wondering just how bad that tornado would have to be to induce me to get back in there!

In other news, we are getting ready for the Polar Vortex to pay a visit. We are expecting freezing rain Wednesday night and Thursday and our temperatures will be in the 20's for highs and down to low teens and 10 for lows. After that, we're supposed to have snow. That's not much if you live up in the northern states, but for the DFW Texas this will be a big deal. 

We'll be getting in a few extra supplies for us and our 2 mama cows and our 2 calves before it gets here. Oh and I forgot to tell you-2 weeks ago, we came home after church and found that a sweet little calf had been born! He is a cutie! We have another calf that is several months old and her mama will have another calf in May. 




12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love seeing the little calf!! What a fun surprise to find!! Take care over there! Glad you are getting the supplies in early! Be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a cutie, but his mama is very protective, so we admire him from a distance!

      Delete
  2. I live way up in Ohio and think your weather sounds challenging! I am not sure if I would crawl in a closet either. I do remember putting my children in a bathtub during a storm in the early 80's. The weather watchers are right; a tornado sounds like a freight train! We were lucky it flew over our town and did not touch down.

    I shudder when I end sentences with a preposition. I have decided I am too old to rework sentences so I tend to leave it that way, but I do shudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might rather take a chance on the bathtub instead of under the stairs! Hopefully I won't have to find out!

      Delete
  3. I know not to end a sentence with a preposition but sometimes you just have to!
    I hope the weather is not too terrible for you. What a cute calf. Mama is a nice looking gal also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty cold today, but will get colder and wetter by the weekend. He is cute, but his mama is a big old girl and super protective!

      Delete
  4. I agree about the grammar....and I do it, too. Who really cares? We communicate our thoughts - perhaps imperfectly but we still communicate!
    I know you’re local but in the country! Dallas County? We left plants outside down at the ranch and will be asking Dean and Sherry to take them inside.....but if it gets as cold as expected....they will probably freeze anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in Wise County-just northwest of Fort Worth. We have a little over 4 acres-just enough for a few cows. We may try chickens again this year. We will have to find some way of keeping them safe as we really like them to free-range. We had some a few years ago, but they became chicken dinners for the hawks and the critters. We loved the fresh eggs and miss them!

      Delete
  5. Aww - that little calf is so cute!
    We've been getting lots of snow, but in Michigan, that's the norm. I hope it doesn't hit you too hard!
    Good for you for cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We plan to be warm inside for the worst of the weather.

      Delete
  6. Jan, Oh bless your heart, you sure made me laugh about the hidey hole under the stairs. Oh I would probably wait till the tornado was at the door before I crawled in with spiders. The new calf is sweet. I am praying the ice storm doesn't do damage...it's so scary to lose power . We are going to get the snow and arctic air...which makes me long for springtime. Blessings to you and your family, saying prayers. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Susie! Stay warm and safe. Keeping you and Ted in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete