Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Decisions, Decisions...

Today, my local grands school district decided that the schools will be online until September 28-no in person school. I could swear I heard both sighs of relief and groans of disappointment echoing through the air. There are so many kids with so many different needs and so many different family dynamics, that there is just no way to make a decision that will make everyone happy or that is even safe for everybody. I feel for those who have to make decisions like this and keep them in my prayers. Just between my 3 local grands there are 3 very different needs. My 14 year old granddaughter is scared to go back to school and will be happy for the reprieve for a lot of different reasons. She is starting high school and has really dreaded having to go in person just for normal teenage angst reasons, although I think the lock downs also have her somewhat depressed. It's hard to get her to leave the house at all because wearing a mask brings on panic attacks for her. The 11 year old granddaughter was looking forward to starting middle school and will be very disappointed. She wasn't happy doing online school last spring. Our almost 8 year old grandson is mildly autistic (what they used to call Asperger's) and has difficulty in a classroom setting but hated online school as well. My poor daughter will be going in circles trying to keep up with it all. I feel so sorry for them and for everyone affected by the times we're living in. And I pray that things will become clearer.





16 comments:

  1. Our state has left it up to individual school districts and counties. My oldest grandchildren's school offered a virtual experience, but my daughter and her husband work demanding jobs and there will be no one home to school. The in-school plan of spacing children 3 feet apart with teachers six feet apart, everyone in masks was not approved by the health department.

    My daughter in law teaches in another school district in another county. Her district is going with the three feet spacing for children and the six feet spacing for teachers with only the teachers wearing masks.

    My youngest daughter teaches in a school who announced today that school will open as usual. No spacing, lunch room at capacity, recesses as usual, only teachers in masks.

    My local grandchildren attend yet another school district in another county. Their school is going with an every other day approach for less children in the classroom. They are fortunate that we will be available for childcare and homeschool on alternate days. Most families don't have this luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We helped out with the online school back in the Spring. The girls did fine on their own, but it took hours for our grandson to get through it. He has ADHD and we had to figure out ways that worked well for him.

      Delete
  2. I highly doubt schools will be back here in Sept. Nothing has been said and also, the library is still closed as is the museums. We are in Western NY.

    I feel for your granddaughter. I have asthma and suffer from panic attacks with the mask on --can't do it, no way. I show my inhaler before going in anywhere so they know about the no mask wearing, some are good about and some are not (Walmart). Masks are mandated here. I personally feel the masks are overrated, I'll just leave it at that. I will keep her in prayer.

    As for school--sigh...I have no desire to get in the debate. Overall, I believe whole heartedly its a parents decision, not the school system or the government. We homeschooled all the way through. My son had open heart surgery at age 6 and while being home for that year and half he got so far ahead and by the time he was tested, he was on a 5th grade level. We decided to keep on homeschooling. I know a lot of folks don't have this option...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homeschooling is sounding like a better option all the time. Hopefully, the government won't make it harder to choose to do that.

      Delete
  3. It is hard for families and I am so glad none of our "kids" are still in school. Even the grands are out of college now. I pray about this situation in our country daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I would decide if my kids were still in school.

      Delete
  4. My heart goes out to young mothers and fathers facing this decision and everything required to follow the path that either decision brings. Our youngest son and his wife have decided to have their 8 and 5 year old do online the first semester and see how things are after Christmas. It was not an easy decision to make as our 8 year old granddaughter loves school so much. As your post explains, each child has different needs in addition to the worries parents have about their safety from the virus. I just pray that this generation of school children will weather all of this and grow up to be stronger and wiser for it. Maybe some of them will be the ones who solve the problems for future children.

    God bless your daughter and all the mothers facing this!

    The Tolkien quote is personal for each of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These are hard decisions-I think a lot will be learned by both the children and adults.

      Delete
  5. School is supposed to begin here August 16. As of this minute options are either in person school or remote school. If a family chooses traditional school they can change their minds t any time and go to remote learning. However; if anyone opts for remote school they are bound to it until the semester is over. I am glad my kids are grown and I don't have to make that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her in Scotland, schools returning August 11th but the consensus of opinions is that they were not. I fear for my school age Granddaughters and my teacher daughter-in-law. It feels like sending them all into the lion's den.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. Praying for your granddaughters and daughter-in-law.

      Delete
  7. Kansas has been so haphazard in their school decisions. Today all the state school boards rejecyed the governor's plan to delay the start of school until Sept. 9, so each district is going to make their own decisions on when and how themselves. I worry for my daughter-in-law (the head dietary in the local school district nutrition department) and her two teenage girls (one starting middle school this year and the other will be a junior in high school). Our district STILL doesn't have things figured out for the kids and teachers! It's a complete mess. And so much division among people, teachers wanting to quit, substitutes not wanting to go back, etc., etc. All we can do is keep praying that things will get worked out and everyone will be safe and healthy. Blessings to you, Jan! (New follower from Kansas via Granny Marigold's blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for your grandkids and all of these special needs regarding school..and for your daughter as she must coordinate it all for her family. Praying things work out in time and that all will be fine with whatever the decisions are. Not an easy time for anyone these days...especially families with children in school.

    ReplyDelete