Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Social Distancing...

...from everything except food. There seem to phases that some people are going through in this quarantining. We are officially at the eating everything in sight phase. Ok, not quite that bad, but we have definitely been spending more time cooking and eating at home. Yesterday, I cooked two T-bones from our last steer that we put in the freezer. We didn't want to bother with firing up the grill, so I marinated them in Claude's Fajita Marinade and some homemade oil and vinegar dressing.

This stuff is really good-smoky, salty and has some heat too. Makes a great marinade for any kind of meat when combined with italian salad dressing like Kraft Zesty Italian. Anyway, I have pan grilled steaks before and haven't always been pleased with the results. We generally like our steaks on the medium rare side. This time, I did what is called a Reverse Sear. I saw it on a PBS cooking show and decided to try it. After marinating them in the fridge for a few hours and then letting them come up to room temperature, I put the two large, 1" thick steaks into a 200 degree oven for 45 minutes. Then I seared them for 1 minute per side in a hot cast iron skillet on top of the stove. (3 Tbsp. of canola oil in the skillet and then let it heat until it shimmers and just starts to smoke.) They were perfect! Medium rare, juicy and tender!
https://tasty.co/recipe/reverse-sear-steak tells how to do it.

I also made Amish Broccoli and Cauliflower salad and apple crisp for dessert. At this rate, they will have to roll us out the door when quarantining is over!

4 comments:

  1. After breaking my arm on March 6, my dear husband had to take over cooking. I just shoveled with a spoon. Now we are doing the team cooking. I direct and he does what he wants anyway. It does seem like our whole day revolves around cooking or eating. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That steak looks delicious! I think most of us are eating way too much. We are also staying up too late and sleeping in too long. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The steak looks fantastic. I have never really liked my pan seared steaks but I think I overcook them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That steak sure looks good! Now I want steak. LOL. Yes, we are eating too much too, and my body feels it. Gotta get out and move more!!

    ReplyDelete