We made a trip to New Mexico to visit my MIL this past week. She is 91 and still lives on her own. We try to make it out there a couple of times a year and this time we took our daughter and her three children. It's a 12-13 hour drive, but we made it there Wednesday and back home today without any huge problems. (In her new SUV! It makes a long trip a lot easier.) Some normal squabbling among the small fry and just a really long day on the road both ways. The kids don't start school until Tuesday, but their parents have to work tomorrow, so we kept them here at our house tonight while their mom went on to their home. Everyone seems to have settled down quickly-we're all pretty tired.
It was a good visit but I don't think his mother will be able to live on her own much longer-she's getting very frail and has fallen a number of times. She really wants to stay in her own place. My SIL is there to take care of her almost everyday and my husband's brother and wife are there often too. I know it's getting to be a strain for all them. We really appreciate all that they do since we don't live close. They are all wonderful people and I'm as close to them as I am to my own family. (Not much of my family left really, just a brother and an aunt and her family.)
Well, it's good to be back home and I'm ready to get going on the new year. Guess I'll start taking down Christmas this week and start thinking about what I'd like to accomplish this year. Our upstairs really needs a good weeding out and the trim and baseboards need painting too. I'm sure I'll find plenty for us to do! Hope your holidays were good days and the new year will be a good one for you!
So wonderful that you were able to go and visit your MIL and take the family. I am sure that SHE appreciated your visit. I know what caring for an elderly parent is like. We shared the caregiving of my MIL with my husband's brother and his wife for several years before we finally had to put her in a Nursing home at age almost 94. She lived until her 95th birthday, but she actually loved the "home" and all the people there. It was a blessing in many ways. Once they start falling it is very hard to keep them at home. We were just not able to keep picking her up and she couldn't get it through her head that she wasn't supposed to get up and try to walk on her own. So the home was a BIG help for all of us. Praying for you and your family as you go through these stages of aging with her. It's never easy. Happy New Year. I hope you can tackle those projects you have in mind to do. Sounds good!! God bless you and take care!!
ReplyDelete