Each generation has it's own landmark day. For my grandparents, it was probably President Wilson's declaration of war against Germany in 1917 after the sinking of the Lusitania and the Housatonic. For us, it was the assassination of JFK, and for our kids, it's probably 9-11. But for my parents and all of the greatest generation, it was December 7th, 1941-the day Pearl Harbor was attacked and much of our Navy destroyed. My mom told me about sitting in class in high school and listening to the president ask for a declaration of war on the radio the next day. My dad had already joined the Army Air Corps and remembered his commanding officer calling them together to tell them they would now officially be in harm's way. Their world changed forever that day. I don't know how many more generations will really think of this day as anything remarkable. The greatest generation is almost gone and their kids are getting old. This day doesn't hold first hand significance for me, but I know what it meant to my parents. It's for them and all who lost their lives as a result of it that I will continue to remember.

A big thank you to all who have served, past and present, and sacrificed so much. I salute you!
ReplyDelete