Saturday, May 14, 2016

Chickens

We have become chicken parents-a new adventure for us. I'm a city girl born and bred, so I wasn't too sure about having actual livestock. (We also have two black Angus heifers). I probably would have stayed in the "someday it might be nice to have some animals about the place" stage, until my husband said one morning "let's go get some chicks!" So we did and I'm enjoying them more than I could have imagined!

When we first got them-little fluff balls!
We spend a lot of time watching what we call "Chicken TV", our own personal reality show. They've gotten so used to us that we can walk among them while they are out. If I have on sandals, they even peck my toes! I had no idea they would be so much fun to watch. They love to hang out on the back porch.

Hey Mom! Can we come inside?
The love to spend time out in the yard-this will be especially great when the grasshoppers come out.

They like our cows.
We have 3 Ameraucanas, 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Buff Orpingtons and 1 Rhode Island Red. We know we have at least 2 roosters. They are about 12 weeks old and we're chicken novices, so we may have to wait and see who grows spurs and who lays eggs before we're sure who's who. Any chicken advice is welcome!

4 comments:

  1. We used to have hens too but now our by-laws prevent that. So stupid really. Many communities allow a few back yard hens ( but not roosters because of the noise). I hope you'll keep up-dating as they grow ( although at the in between stage they look a bit strange). I love that you have a few of several different kinds. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have no restrictions like that since we live out of town, but I may impose a few when our roosters start crowing!

      Delete
  2. For us to have chickens we have to apply for permission to notify our neighbors of our intent to have 3 hens. Then if our neighbors do not object we are put on a list of pending chicken parents. Its easier to just buy the blooming eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, we live outside the city limits on a little over 4 acres and the only restrictions on our deed were no pigs. I can live with that!

      Delete

October!