Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Still Alive and Kicking!

Sorry I haven't posted much lately-not that I'm a prolific poster anyway! We changed our internet carrier and are having to adjust our usage so I wasn't able to be on the internet much. It's amazing what happens when I can't sit and "surf the net"! Quilts get cut out, afghans are crocheted, books are read, walks get taken and closets get cleaned out! I didn't realize how bad I'd gotten about sitting on the computer all day. Better habits are being formed!

We spent a wonderful weekend on the Gulf Coast with family. My nieces gave my sister-in-law a surprise birthday party for her 60th. The look on her face when she walked into the restaurant was priceless! We married brothers-our weddings 6 months apart to the day and we have been more like sisters than in-laws for the last 41 years. Lots of laughter and tears and always there for each other. My husband's brother died when her girls were very small. Our kids grew up together and were our little "stairsteps". Her girls and my daughter are 18 months apart and then our son was the tag along baby a few years later. We had many wonderful summers when they all came to our house and stayed. We live 4 hours apart now and don't see each other as often as we'd like, so it was wonderful to be together! I was also able to spend time with my aunt and a cousin that I haven't seen since my uncle's funeral 3 years ago. We went to dinner and had a great time catching up.  Today we made our way back home through the Texas hill country-it was cold and wet, but we enjoyed it. We made a stop in Gonzales, TX and I was able to find my great, great, great, great grandmother's grave and my great, great, great grandmother's also.

Tomorrow is our daughter's birthday-she and I are going to get our hair cut and have lunch-can't believe that my baby girl will be 35!


11 comments:

  1. Hi Jan. It's good to see you blogging and to hear that all is well at yours. How special to have family catch up times. I'm off for a few hours of family time today with my two daughters, my daughter-in-law and our 5 grandchildren....I love family together times :-)
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful for you to have a SIL like that...one that is truly a "sister". I feel that way about my DIL- she is a true "daughter" to me. Speaking of daughters- Your daughter is beautiful! Just gorgeous! Happy Haircut(s) and Birthday! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's the sister I never had growing up!

      Delete
  3. what a nice story about your families. Happy birthday to your lovely daughter, where do the years go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The years are going by much too quickly for me!

      Delete
  4. It is so much better to live our life fully than to be a prolific blogger. I liked reading about the things you've been doing. Happy birthday to your beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Gulf! How wonderful to go with the family! Years fly by don't they, yet I feel like I did when I was young. (Except for the joints)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking the other day that I don't feel much different than I did years ago-but I agree about the joints! Somedays, they feel more like I'm 100! :-)

      Delete
  6. I know just what you mean when you say lots gets done when you don't have a computer. Although I still have my computer I don't "allow" myself to even turn it on until well after lunch. Since I am a morning person, I have usually done my necessary work by then anyway. What gets done in the afternoon is bonus.

    ReplyDelete

October!