Wednesday, November 5, 2014

November




Something told the wild geese
It was time to go,
Though the fields lay golden
Something whispered, "snow."

Leaves were green and stirring,
Berries, luster-glossed,
But beneath warm feathers
Something cautioned, "frost."

All the sagging orchards
Steamed with amber spice,
But each wild breast stiffened
At remembered ice.

Something told the wild geese
It was time to fly,
Summer sun was on their wings,
Winter in their cry.

~Rachel Field

10 comments:

  1. I like this poem and the illustration - if only little girls still dressed in such nice outfits:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that poem too and remember memorizing it with my kids when they were young. The geese on the lake where I walk had a hard time taking off in the wind this morning. Like the geese in your picture they were tossed about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to live in their flight path and I loved to see them flying across the sky above the house. We don't see many here, but we do see the cranes.

      Delete
  3. Lovely blog i saw you thrue other blogger...nice posts to read...blessings ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the poem too, but I laugh at the verses. About 15 years ago Canadian Geese migrated here for the winter and never left. Now after all these years and countless little goslings we have a huge year round goose population. I guess Alabama is good for something after all!

    I wish little girls would still dress like little girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We occasionally have a few who stop off here, but none stay around. We were in Alabama this summer-it's beautiful!

      Delete
  5. What a sweet poem. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! You can put the wreath on your backdoor. When I lived on the farm we didn't even really have a front door. lol
    I am your newest follower and will put you on my sidebar. xo Diana

    ps. Did you know that when you leave a comment you come through as a No Reply blogger? That means that I can't comment back to you via email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Diana and thank you! (I have changed the No Reply (I think)-thanks for telling me!)

      Delete