We had a proper Southern New Year's Day yesterday, eating our black eyed peas for good luck coupled with Dirty Rice Casserole! Having the leftovers today mixed together to make Hoppin' John. (Black eyed peas and rice.) I guess it's not true dirty rice because I use breakfast sausage and ground beef instead of chicken livers. Never been a giblets kind of girl! We've had a cold and windy start to the year, but sunny and bright. Typical January weather for us. It will warm up tomorrow and Saturday, then turn cold again for next week. Nice and dry, though.
We took down the Christmas tree this morning and will be getting the rest of the decorations squared away today too. I always leave some of the greens up through the winter, so I'll just put the specifically Christmas stuff away.
Hoping 2014 will prove to be another good year. I don't make resolutions as such, but I do have some goals for this year. Most importantly, I want a stronger, deeper relationship with my Lord. I feel that the spiritual part of my life has been pushed to the back burner and become very shallow. I want to change that. I also plan to eat in a more healthy way and start walking more. I'm ready to get a sewing room put together, so I'll be mucking out the attic room and getting that set up! Then I hope to start learning to quilt.
Whew!! That all sounds pretty ambitious, we'll see how things go. The main thing is to accomplish what I can and not beat myself up over what doesn't get done! Anything I do will be better than doing nothing, right?
Wishing everyone a blessed New Year!
Happy New Year! After my visit to the South I want to try making some traditional southern dishes especially cornbread and red beans and rice. I don't do resolutions either but I have a few things I'd like to achieve - a pretty well kept garden among them. I've been trying unsuccessfully for that one for a good many years:)
ReplyDeleteI like your goals. Eating more healthy, walking more, and pursuing a deeper relationship with the Lord. Sounds very much like my goals except I'm adding another one for myself and that is to be more relaxed. About most things.I do tend to get my shirt in a knot! *smile*
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year to you! Can you believe this COLD weather? Makes me so grateful for my electric blanket! I like having goals too . Wish we lived closer and we could be walking buddies!
ReplyDelete