We're visiting our little granddaughters (and their parents too!) and went to look at some houses out in the country. We took the girls (ages 6 and 3) to one we'd looked at before. Very over grown and the house is now empty, but there's lots of potential. We had visions of the girls running merrily through the wildflowers and racing up the paths through the wood. Wrong. They got out of the car and the youngest began panicking because there were ants. (She was badly stung by fire ants last year and is really afraid of any ant now.) I took their hands and we started walking toward the house. We got into the tall grass and flowers and dozens of tiny green grasshoppers began jumping all around. I thought it was great-they screamed and ran to the porch where there were more-you guessed it-ants. There was a swing on the big wrap-around porch and I tried to get them to sit down, but they weren't too sure about it. They really haven't been out to play in anything that hasn't been manicured and "tame" since they've grown up in the suburbs of two very large cities.
My husband came and got us to go walk through the pretty little oak woods in the back. It's got some paths set out but it's pretty overgrown, and the 6 year old got into a vine with thorns. They were both ready to go back to the car by then and not at all impressed with our adventure! We were informed that they did NOT want us to buy that house!
 |
| This is very much like the area in front of the house. |
 |
| It looks like this in back of the house |
We have a lot of other places to look at before we make a decision-may not take the girls with us, though!
House hunting is so much fun, hope to see the architecture too.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as if you're planning to take on a pretty major project. I look forward to seeing the house that ticks all the right boxes and becomes your new home! Jx
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame that your granddaughters aren't happy in the country, children miss so many wonderful things if they never get to know about the great outdoors. Good job they don't live with my granddaughters in the wilds of South Africa where they get snakes in the washing machine and monkeys on the back porch:)
ReplyDeleteOh dear, I guess they felt like I do when I'm in a big city. I like small places and the countryside.
ReplyDeleteLook forward to seeing which new house you choose.
Carol xx